Venison and Cheese Stuffed Peppers
Venison and Cheese stuffed Peppers
– kosher salt
– freshly ground black pepper
– 2 fresh bay leaves or 3 dried
– 3/4 cup of Arborio rice
– 2 cups water
– 2 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
– 8 firm-ripe Green Peppers
– 3/4 cup of Longshadow Cheddar Cheese, cut into small cubes
– 120g Zuluwaters Venison Mince
– ½ cup Longshadow Romano Grated
– 1/4 tsp. Italian seasoning
– 10 large fresh basil leaves, chopped
– 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
Added Extra: Make a creamy cheese sauce using our Farm Fresh cream and Longshadow’s Romano cheese to drizzle over the top.
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.
Bring 2 cups of water, 1/2 tsp. kosher salt and bay leaves to a boil.
Stir in rice and 1 tbs. olive oil. Simmer and cook uncovered…
Until al dente and the liquid is all gone, about 10 minutes.
Remove bay leaves. Scrape in a large bowl to cool.
2. In a pan, brown ground venison over medium heat with Italian seasoning and a pinch of both kosher salt and ground black pepper, about 5-10 minutes.
Add to the bowl with the rice.
3. Cut the tops off the green peppers, saving the tops.
4. With a spoon, scoop out the seeds of the peppers.
Add cubed cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup of grated Romano, chopped basil and oregano. Mix well.
To make things clear, stuffing ingredients include: cooked rice, browned ground venison, chopped mozzarella cheese, grated Parmesan, basil and oregano.
5. Place hollowed peppers in baking dish.
Lightly salt the insides of the Peppers and fill with stuffing.
Bake in a 200 degree C oven until Peppers are soft and juicy and the stuffing is browned on top. About 20-25 minutes.
Enjoy with good white wine.